The rescue aviary in Lower Gardens, Bournemouth town centre, is a sanctuary for almost 200 homeless tropical birds. The aviary is a much-loved attraction in the gardens, it's run by volunteers and funded entirely by donations.
We are fundraising to rebuild the aviary and are now very close to reaching our target. The new aviary will create more flight space for the birds and provide visitors with a 360-degree viewing experience. It will also be built sustainably and to higher welfare standards. View the plans for the new aviary here.
We are hoping to start rebuilding the aviary early next year (2021), can you help us reach our fundraising target?
Here's some ideas of how you can support us...
Ways to donate
You can make a donation to the aviary by:
- Clicking the orange donate button below and making an online donation
- Sending us a cheque made payable to 'Bournemouth Parks Foundation' and posting it to Queens Park Pavilion, Queens Park West Drive, Bournemouth, BH8 9BY. If you're a UK tax payer we can claim gift aid on your donation, which will increase your donation by 25%. If you're eligible for this please include a note with your cheque letter us know your name and address or download a Gift Aid declaration form.
- Calling us on 01202 451513 and we can take a donation over the phone
Engraved bird plaques
Whether you want to celebrate an occasion, remember a loved one or simply support the reconstruction of Bournemouth’s aviary you can purchase a brass bird with your own personal message engraved. This will be put up on the current aviary then transferred to the new aviary once it's built. We have three different bird plaques available:
- Finch (150mm) - £100, 147 characters (including spaces)
- Parrot (200mm) - £250, 138 characters (including spaces)
Simply fill out this form and email it to us at email@example.com and then make your donation on our website. Alternatively, you can pop the form in the post with a cheque. Full details are on the form.
Please note: it will take approximately 6-8 weeks from order for the engraved bird to be created and put up in the aviary so if it is for a certain occasion please keep this in mind.
Instead of buying your family, friends or colleagues an actual Christmas present this year, why not donate to our Aviary appeal?
In return, we'll email you a gift card which can be sent on to your gift recipient, explaining that their gift has been bought on your behalf in support of our rescued birds. It’s a more meaningful gift and will help us reach our fundraising target.
Fundraise for us
Have you ever considered running a fundraising activity yourself to raise money for the new aviary? We've had lots of people run different activities to support us, including:
- A bird themed cake sale
- Shaving off a beard which had been growing for five years
- Birthday fundraisers on Facebook
- A dress down day in the office.
If you'd like to organise your own fundraiser please call us on 01202 451513.
Gift in will
If you're considering leaving a gift in your will to the aviary please contact us on 01202 451513 to discuss this further. You can find out more information about what you need to do to leave a legacy here. These donations make a significant difference to our fundraising activities and will leave a lasting legacy for future generations.
In the event that we don’t raise enough money for this project, or exceed our target, the money raised will go towards our general charitable activities.